Emrah is an assistant professor in the field of sustainable business models and industrial dynamics at KTH Royal Institute of Technology.
Prior to his current position, he has worked as a postdoctoral researcher at KTH Royal Institute of Technology and studied as a PhD student at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid & KTH Royal Institute of Technology (as a part of EDIM programme). He is an alumnus of MSc in Computational Mechanics at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya & Universität Stuttgart as well as BSc in Mechanical Engineering at TOBB University of Economics and Management.
As a visiting scholar, he has visited Northwestern Polytechnical University in China (2 weeks) and Fraunhofer Institute for Systems and Innovation Research in Germany (3 months). Also, Emrah served as the Vice President during 2015-2017 for the Erasmus Mundus Association, a Brussels-based NGO funded by European Commission.
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
• E. Karakaya, C. Nuur och L. Assbring, "Potential transitions in the iron and steel industry in Sweden: Towards a hydrogen-based future?," Journal of Cleaner Production, vol. 195, s. 651-663, 2018.
• E. Karakaya och C. Nuur, "Social sciences and the mining sector : some insights into recent research trends," Resources policy, vol. 58, no. October 2018, s. 257-267, 2018.
• E. Karakaya, C. Nuur och A. Hidalgo, "Business model challenge : Lessons from a local solar company," Renewable energy, vol. 85, s. 1026-1035, 2016.
• E. Karakaya, "Finite Element Method for Forecasting the Diffusion of Photovoltaic Systems: Why and How?," Applied Energy, vol. 163, s. 464-475, 2016.
• E. Karakaya och P. Sriwannawit, "Barriers to the adoption of photovoltaic systems : The state of the art," Renewable & sustainable energy reviews, vol. 49, s. 60-66, 2015.
• E. Karakaya, A. Hidalgo och C. Nuur, "Motivators for adoption of photovoltaic systems at grid parity : A case study from Southern Germany," Renewable & sustainable energy reviews, vol. 43, s. 1090-1098, 2015.
• E. Karakaya, A. Hidalgo och C. Nuur, "Diffusion of eco-innovations : A review," Renewable & sustainable energy reviews, vol. 33, no. May, s. 392-399, 2014.
Emrah’s research has evolved around the following topics:
• Diffusion of innovations – how innovation diffuse among people and companies
• Business Models – how policymaking affect the sustainability-oriented business models
• Industrial transitions – how established industries transform into radically innovative and more sustainable modes of production systems
• General purpose technologies – how technologies such as AI and Blockchain are perceived and how they can affect the innovation systems
• Sustainability – how sustainability is framed and how it can lead to unintended consequences