Maxim is Assistant Professor of Project Management at University College Dublin. He holds a double PhD degree in Industrial Economics and Management from KTH and Politecnico di Milano (Italy); a triple MSc with distinction in Strategic Project Management from Heriot-Watt University (UK), MIP–Politecnico di Milano (Italy) and Umeå University (Sweden); and BSc and MSc (cum laude) in Applied Mathematics and Physics from Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology (State University).
Maxim's research and teaching interests revolve around various aspects of management and organization design of project-based organizations. His work has appeared in International Journal of Project Management, Project Management Journal, and International Journal of Managing Projects in Business. Maxim received several international research / best paper awards, including the IPMA Young Researcher Award 2016, PMI-IPMA EURAM Best paper award 2017 and Emerald Literati Award 2018 (Highly Commended Paper).
He is a member of International Editorial Board of International Journal of Project Management, a jury member of IPMA Research Awards, and recipient of the PO SIG Best Reviewer Award, EURAM, 2018.
Before joining academia, Maxim worked as a management consultant with Roland Berger Strategy Consultants and as an independent consultant; he also held analytical and managerial positions across the private and public sectors, including manufacturing, pharmaceutical, financial services, and regional development.
- Turner, J.R., & Miterev, M. (2019). The Organizational Design of the Project-Based Organization. Project Management Journal, 50 (4), 487-498.
- Miterev, M., Mancini, M. & Turner, J.R. (2017). Towards a design for the project-based organization. International Journal of Project Management, 35 (3), 479-491. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2016.12.007.
- Miterev, M., Engwall, M. & Jerbrant, A. (2017). Mechanisms of isomorphism in project-based organizations. Project Management Journal, 48 (5), 9-24.
- Miterev, M., Turner, J.R. & Mancini, M. (2017). The organization design perspective on the project-based organization: A structured review. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business, 10 (3), 527-549 doi: 10.1108/IJMPB-06-2016-0048
- Miterev, M., Engwall, M. & Jerbrant, A. (2016). Exploring program management competences for various program types. International Journal of Project Management, 34 (3), 545557. doi: 10.1016/j.ijproman.2015.07.006
International peer-reviewed conferences
- Turner, R., & Miterev, M. (2018). Exploring the organizational designs of the project-based organization. European Academy of Management Conference (EURAM 2018), June 20-22, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- Engwall, M., Kaulio, M., Karakaya, E., Miterev, M., & Berlin, D. (2018). Explorative project networks: Means for business model innovation? R&D Management Conference, July 1-4, Milan, Italy.
- Miterev, M., Engwall, M., & Jerbrant, A. (2017). Mechanisms of isomorphism in project-based organizations. European Academy of Management Conference (EURAM 2017), June 20-24, Glasgow, UK (received the IPMA-PMI EURAM Best paper prize 2017)
- Miterev, M., Engwall, M., & Jerbrant, A. (2017). Mechanisms of isomorphism in project-based organizations. International Research Network on Organizing by Projects Conference (IRNOP 2017), June 11-14, Boston, US.
- Turner, J.R., Miterev, M., & Mancini, M. (2016). Towards a design for the project-based organization. European Academy of Management Conference (EURAM 2016), May 31 – June 4, Paris, France.
- Miterev, M. (2016). Mechanisms of isomorphism in project-based organizations. Scandinavian Academy of Industrial Engineering and Management, November 27-29, Luleå, Sweden (received the IMIT Best PhD Candidate Poster Award).
- Miterev, M. (2015). A systematic literature review on governance in PBOs: Conceptualization, underlying assumptions and research agenda, 2nd EDIM Conference, June 9-12, Milan, Italy.
- Miterev, M., Engwall, M., & Jerbrant, A. (2014). Exploring program management competences for different program types, 28th IPMA World Congress, September 29 – October 1, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- Jerbrant, A., Miterev, M., & Engwall, M. (2014). Integrating strategic aspects with project portfolio management: Exploring different ways to deal with organizational dependencies, 1st EDIM Conference, Milan, Italy, June, 11-12.
- Miterev, M. (2013). Governance mechanisms in multi-project organizations: Towards a contingency theory, EDEN Doctoral Seminar "Perspectives on Projects", SKEMA Business School, Lille, France, August, 19-21.
- Miterev, M., & Nedelcu, R. (2013). The Relationship between Project Complexity and Delay: Case Study of ERP Implementation Projects in Russia, 22nd International Association for Management of Technology Conference (IAMOT 2013), Porto Alegre, Brazil, April, 14-18.