Dr. Sayem is a Faculty Member in Industrial Managementat in the Department of Industrial and Production Engineering Department. He obtained the PhD in Industrial Management with “excellent” grade. As a researcher, Sayem read his PhD at Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain, under the Program “European Doctorate in Industrial Management (EDIM)”. He holds a Master of Science Degree in Management, Economics and Industrial Engineering from Politecnico di Milano, Italy. Ahmed Sayem holds B.Sc. in Industrial & Production Engineering, from Shahjalal University of Science & Technology (SUST), Sylhet, Bangladesh. He was awarded an EMJD Fellowship Award, for the program European Doctorate in Industrial Management (EDIM) and Doctorate student scholarship from Universidad Politécnica de Madrid (UPM) to complete his PhD. He also awarded a ICE-UNIONCAMERE (Merit based) Scholarship to study his M.Sc.; and university merit scholarship during studying his B.Sc.
Ahmed Sayem has worked with management of international manufacturing and the phenomenon of reshoring. In doing so, he has collaborated with numerous multinational companies originated from Sweden and Spain. In particular, his interests concern three key activities in this context: management of resources, knowledge development, and qualitative research. Articles documenting his research in aforementioned areas have been published in journal, such as BRQ Business Research Quarterly, Sustainability, etc.
His research interests involve divers areas of industrial management viz. Supply Chain Management/ Supply Network, Sustainable Organization, Management and Cost Accounting, Productivity Assessment and Improvement, Service Marketing and Strategy etc. He has successfully completed various research projects in these fields.
Specialization in Industrial management, Strategic management, Operations management, Supply Chain Management, Global manufacturing, and International Manufacturing Network.
Articles on Peer Reviewed Journals:
- Sayem A., Feldmann A., Ortega-Mier M. (2019) "Investigating the influence of network-manufacturing capabilities to the phenomenon of reshoring: An insight from three case studies", BRQ Business Research Quarterly 22, 68-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brq.2018.07.001
- Sayem A., Feldmann A., Ortega-Mier M. (2018) "Coordination in International Manufacturing: The Role of Competitive Priorities and the Focus of Globally Dispersed Facilities", Sustainability, 10, 1314, doi:10.3390/su10051314
- Sayem A., Md. Anisul Islam and M.M.A. Khan (2013) “Productivity enhancement through reduction of changeover time by implementing SMED technique - in furniture industry”, International Journal of Industrial and Systems Engineering, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp15-33; DOI: 10.1504/IJISE.2014.060820
- M.A.H. Mithu, Sayem A. and M.M.A. Khan (2012) “Assessment of factors affecting employee appeal and retention of nurses in Bangladesh”, International Journal of Engineering Management and Economics, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 326-340
- Md. Anisul Islam, Mohammad Khadem and Ahmed Sayem (2012) “Service quality, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty analysis in Bangladesh apparel fashion retail: an empirical study”, International Journal of Fashion Design, Technology and Education, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp. 213-224.
- M.M.A. Khan, M.A.H. Mithu, Zaheed Halim and A. Sayem (2012) “Statistical design approach to process parameter optimization for turning AISI 9310 alloy steel under minimum quantity lubrication environment”, International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 154-182
- Ahmed Sayem and Md. Anisul Islam (2011) “Development of a user-friendly integrated CNC system part program generation software focusing on various turning operations”, Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 37-60
- Sayem A., Ortega-Mier M., Feldmann A., (2019) Relationship Between the Relocation and Operation of Global Firms, In Moreira, Antonio Carrizo, Silva, Pedro (ed) Handbook of Research on Corporate Restructuring and Globalization, IGI Global, USA. 234-250. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-8906-8.ch011
His current lines of inquire concerns the coordination structures of international manufacturing networks, as well as sustainability issues of supply chain management. Furthermore, Dr. Sayem engagesin research concerning productivity and market dynamics.